myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best windsurf destination for Christmas ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolronck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:38 am    Post subject: Best windsurf destination for Christmas ? Reply with quote

Hello, what is the best destination to go windsurfing in Christmas ?

With waves around 6.5 feet, wind around 25 knots and closer as possible at the US ...
carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say "close as possible" it would help to know where you're coming FROM Question .
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From last year's wind data, PuertoRico S shore, maybe Shacks.
No chance Baja, slim chance Backyards or Hookipa.
Twice a month OceanBeachSanFrancisco, but at least you're gonna get the 6' + waves at least half the time there.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zirtaeb wrote:
No chance Baja, slim chance Backyards or Hookipa.

To the OP: Is that 6.5' wave measured "Hawaiian" (from the back of the wave) or 6.5' faces??
You don't need to go all the way to Ho'opkipa and put up with the locals, upper Kanaha/Spreks will get 6.5 faces that time of year. Wind is another issue, probably good only (average) 30% of the time depending alot on which week. More chance if you can sail big stuff.
Heck, 2 years ago Christmas day Ho'okipa was at 20-25ft and Jaws was doing 25-40ft. Very light wind, but there were 4 pros out at Jaws and a couple tow-ins with jet skis. Even the little yellow helocopter was flying.
bolronck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carl wrote:
When you say "close as possible" it would help to know where you're coming FROM Question .

New Mexico

Do you think it's can work in Oregon coast or it's too cold ?
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in 2001, the NWS asked everyone to measure waves simply by observing the heights from the trough. backs, fronts, it's all too subjective.

one of my cautions when looking at wave observation sites is do not believe the words. simply look at pictures with people or familiar objects in the frames. the estimates, esp from surfers, will be very conservative. dunno why, it just is.

http://cdip.ucsd.edu/?nav=documents&sub=index&xitem=waves

http://surfspotshawaii.com/wavemeasurement.html

pictures are worth thousands times more than words concerning this subject.

as far as where to get those conditions in that time frame, good luck. west australia?

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolronck wrote:
New Mexico

It's all relative, how cold is "too cold" to you? There are some folks that sail with snow on the ground!! Nor Calif coast is high 50s to low 50s in Dec. I've never been to OR in Dec, but I'm pretty sure OR is not warmer than Calif, probably mid 50s at best, probably somewhere between low 50s to mid 40s depending on how cold the storm is. You most likely would have to bring your equip to either place.

Personally if i'm going to spend on airfare and hang out waiting for wind, I'd rather go someplace warm like Maui, Florida, So Texas gulf coast. I know Maui has waves, seems like east FL would have some decent waves, at least once in awhile. None of those places (including CA and OR) are guarenteed wind or waves for any given week. Maui, TX and FL all have equip rentals (not sure about wave gear rentals in TX or FL but it's a definate on Maui).
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been to Cabarete a couple of times during the holidays. The wind there is dicey that time of year, but when it goes off, the reef generates good waves. It's really cheap to stay there, and there are lots of other activities, so as long as you know you're taking your chances (which you would also be doing at other, more expensive places), it's worth thinking about.
carl

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something just hit me, there's waves in NM?? You really must be starved!!

La Ventana and Los Barrilos in Baja aren't that far. I hear LB has pretty good windswell and Dec is starting to get in the prime wind season.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolronck wrote:
carl wrote:

New Mexico

The bigger problem than the winter WSing at the OR coast (see that thread) is the weather, especially considering the idyllic climate you're accustomed to. If you have the neoprene to sail the Butte comfortably in midwinter, you'll survive most winter temps at the OR coast. The problem (besides the truly gnarly winter ocean conditions) with winter at the OR coast is the frigging weather itself. I can think of very few mainland, normal-altitude climates more opposite than those of NM and the OR coast. You're more likely to want to hunker down in a bunker with 3-foot thick reinforced walls and 2-inch Lexan windows built for storm-watching than go down to the beach, and you'll want to wear wind-proof Kevlar rain gear for the latter. (Percentage-wise, that's an exaggeration, but on many days you'll see what I mean.) Besides, the winter forecast for the PacNW is cooler and wetter than normal, and DRY there = monsoons in NM.

If you're a better, bolder, ballsier sailor than Dana Miller, and don't give a damn about conditions onshore and in the water that would intimidate a walrus, by all means head for the OR coast in the winter. You might even catch some wind. Wink Otherwise, head south, young man.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: