myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Best windsurf destination for Christmas ?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bolronck

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the possibility are PuertoRico, Cabarete, La Ventana, Oregon
I doesn't find where is Los Barrilos and Shacks.

carl wrote:
It's all relative, how cold is "too cold" to you?
I was in French Britangy before and the winter over there is my limit. I think the water in Oregon is colder of 2 C or 3 C so probably too cold.

carl wrote:
Is that 6.5' wave measured "Hawaiian" (from the back of the wave) or 6.5' faces??
From the face at the pick. So probably Hs of 1.5m.

Thanks !
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about Lake Arenal, Costa Rica? No waves, but tons of wind that time of the year ... much more than the Gorge gets even in its prime season ... and not that far from great surfing. Or Jericoaracoara?
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About measuring the height of the waves, one must remember the side of them that we use. It's the front of the breaking wave when thinking about where the action is. The whole Hawaiian thing about downplaying wave size is total goofiness. Who rides the back of the waves?
carl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bolronck wrote:
So the possibility are PuertoRico, Cabarete, La Ventana, Oregon
I doesn't find where is Los Barrilos and Shacks.

!

Los Barriles is on Baja,, a little south of La Ventana.
Vellawindsurf dot com has a first class board rental place there.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can remember a crew trying to charge a gale on or about Xmas a few years ago. side off, 18-35 knots, waves in excess of mast high, 4 people tried, 2 utterly denied, 10 watched. playalinda beach, cape canaveral national sea shore, FL. the other that made it out tossed his lunch he got worked so hard. i was denied twice before finally making it out. became one with the chicken jibe that sesh.... again, stayed big with the board, my trusty exo-wave 105 pro.

to plan a trip dedicated to wave sailing in N. America is tough during the winter. yes, anywhere can get a gale, but is it warm enough? consistent enough? peru, australia maybe. lots of folks go to the gulf of CA as stated above, but waves may be hard to come by.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
beallmd

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you know about Morgan Lake up near Farmington. It is heated by the power plant and only drops to about 65 degrees in the winter and is quite sailable that time of year. We typically sailed there from Valentine's day in mid Feb to early June, which is prime season. In the way old days there would be a hundred or so sailers there on a good spring weekend, now think 1 or 2 sailers, maybe 5 on a really good day.
I have been to Cabarete. It is a fun place to go and stay, everything you need right there, but the sailing is marginal. More of a fun trip than a great place to sail. But it has it's good days, I'm sure.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
I assume you know about Morgan Lake up near Farmington. It is heated by the power plant and only drops to about 65 degrees in the winter and is quite sailable that time of year. We typically sailed there from Valentine's day in mid Feb to early June, which is prime season. In the way old days there would be a hundred or so sailers there on a good spring weekend

That was back when people drove there because it was the weekend, without even looking at forecasts. After a few years of crossing the Continental Divide in non-uncommon blizzards (a 4-6-hour drive each way from Albuquerque in bad conditions) for no wind, they wised up and began paying attention to the forecasts (not to mention thinking harder about camping outside in the winter at nearly 5,000 feet). Even in nice spring weather its 200 miles on a bad highway were a real drag, but we did it at the drop of a hat or the quiver of a leaf for a good day of wind. But the only place in NM he's going to find 6' waves is at the far NE corner of Elephant Butte or the middle of Conchas Lake, and that's with 35 or 45 kts, respectively, of steady wind from just the right direction, not 25 mph.

The biggest problem Bolronck faces with NM's winter winds is that they skip right off the lakes in the winter. A pool of air 20 degrees cooler than the surrounding area often forms on the flat surface of a lake, and must be swept aside before the wind reaches the water. This can take many hours if not a whole day. He can sail barefooted at its biggest lake most winters, but if the plentiful winter wind can't penetrate and disperse the cold air pool, he'll be sitting on shore skipping rocks across the flat water while the weather radio is reporting 30 mph winds nearby.

His only reasonably reliable options present two choices, and fortunately he can choose both:
1. Put a bunch of eggs in one basket, fly to the tropics, and hope for wind.
2. Chase wind in NM all winter ... best and safest with all-wheel-drive and snow tires. I've had to sleep overnight beside the highway in a full blizzard trying to return from Corpus Christi in March, which was just another layer of $#!+ on the cake given the glorious spring winds we got there. '-( .
bolronck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
But the only place in NM he's going to find 6' waves is at the far NE corner of Elephant Butte or the middle of Conchas Lake, and that's with 35 or 45 kts
That will be great !

So maybe Lake Arenal Costa Rica is the best option if it's sure to have wind even if there is no waves.
Is there the stats available on the web somewhere ?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

$#!+!!!

I had typed much more detail, but near the end it just disappeared from my screen. Your loss. Here's the short version.

Google lake arenal costa rica windsurfing

Head for Conchas or the Butte's North Monticello Point every time they get blown off the map (that's pretty often). Conchas in W winds averaging > 40 kts (i.e., hammered but manageable on a 3.2 at that altitude) and the NE reaches of the Butte in S to SSW winds averaging > 30 mph can hit head-high (can't see the lake horizon standing on tiptoe in the troughs) or bigger. (That's at normal water levels; I don't know what your drought has done to their topography since the early 2000s). I don't know where else one can find swell that large between Padre Island, the Gorge, and the west coast, not counting the Great Salt Lake. Havasu? Isabel? I sacrificed a lot of brownie points at work on days like that, and haven't regretted it yet.

Mike \m/
bolronck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I have to test this Conchas lake there is often wind over there on the forecast.
For the Lake Arennal the only stats that I have find by google it is http://www.costaricanet.net/windsurfing/index.html#statistics
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: