myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colorit

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SUP will end up being the resurgence of windsurfing by the masses. Newbie buys SUP because its the cool new thing and starts paddling around. On days too windy to paddle they'll sit on the beach and watch until they see others with sails. They'll buy a sail for their SUP and start to gain back those lost days. Soon they want to be able to sail faster or even sail when it really windy. Then they'll start shopping for real windsurf gear.
Baron Bic called windsurfers "bicycles of the sea" everyone would have one in their garage and use them for leisure. I've never owned a bicycle that cost more than $200, yet have always had one in the garage and ride maybe 20 times a year. Sort of like what windsurfing initially was, sure some of us took it to extremes the same way that I've heard there are some people who spend thousands on bikes.
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I plead guilty to spending too much on bikes Colorit. It wasn't intentional, of course, but I guess I caught the bug, and loving it. As with windsurfing, the boost to enthusiasm from using first rate gear, and that doesn't exclude GOOD old stuff, makes all the difference.

If Spennie is right, and it doesn't matter that compromise S.U.P. sailing isn't a match for 'proper' longboarding, it may well be the future. (Thanks for the memories of barging each other about in the old days, on indestructably 'Polly put the kettle on' built, old planks. Really used to enjoy that.)

But haven't youngsters expectations of sport moved on nowadays? I'm not sure that compromise 'Jack of all trades and master of none' concepts will appeal to them. If they are attracted to S.U.P. won't it likely be pictures of surfers carving big waves that will 'turn them on', and not the notion of puttering about with a sail stuck on it?

I still believe that for those who wish to sail in lighter winds a good longboard (old or new) remains the most desirable option. (With a surfing only S.U.P. as backup, for totally windless days.) Thankfully, Exocet and Starboard are still marketing new and better performing longboards. Here's to the revival! Laughing
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skiing with kids has actually made a big come back. The new twin tip skis have really gotten kids excited about skiing again. My kids do both and love it, same with me.
I am taking the plunge this year and have started kiting, my only interest is light wind , (under 25mph). And only in safe soft environments. If its windy and over 25mph I will be ripping on my windsurfing gear and passing most kiters.
Everyone tells me I will quit windsurfing. I am 100% positive they are wrong. I have been around kiting enough to see that in high wind I would rather windsurf, much safer and easily as much fun.
spookini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gurgle:

Yes, most folks will buy a SUP b/c it's hip, trendy, and a way to tap into the romance of the "surf culture". But most will never really surf. They will just putz around w/ a paddle a few yards offshore.

I think a lot of those folks will eventually be eager/curious to try sailing their SUP. I think that will be the future. Will most of these ppl ever transition to shortboard/planing? No. Will most of these ppl ever own more than one rig? Probably not. Maybe just a 4.0 to putz around on.

The "performance" segment of any recreational activity is not where the masses congregate. Millions of mtbikes were sold -- but few of them ever touched anything but asphalt. I hope in a couple more seasons, it won't be an uncommon sight to see a few casual SUPsters tacking back and forth at the beach. It might be low-speed thrills, but it still will raise the profile of "wsurfing" -- and sailing -- in the public eye again.
noshuzbluz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife and I SUP'd at a local lake 20 times last year. We'll probably do more than that this year. Usually we'll all go out,(my wife, me and the dog) paddle around for awhile then take a break. Thats when I'll rig a sail and putts around in the 5-10 mph wind on my rrd longrider. It's actually quite relaxing. Sailing across the lake backwinded is fun too. The longrider is a pretty good SUP'r and a very good longboard windsurfer. The pup likes it too with the rubber covering on the deck.
andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ski industry went through this with snowboarding somehow the freestyle and powder boards became more appealing to the younger crowd. I'd say 10 years ago at the mountains i'd ski or snowboard at it was 75% boards to skis nowdays it seems more like a 50/50 split. this being said i like doing both.

Last weekend at the hatch 30+ sailors 2 or 3 kiters who came upwind from the sandbar to ride waves and show for the cameras. it was 3.7ish not the most ideal wind for kiters Wink

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=24308

camera phone does not do it justice

2012-04-14 13.16.33.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.5 MB
 Viewed:  14598 Time(s)

2012-04-14 13.16.33.jpg

andymc4610

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

or this

2012-04-14 11.22.12.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.53 MB
 Viewed:  14595 Time(s)

2012-04-14 11.22.12.jpg

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time will tell Spookini.

Most of us who are long timers in different sports must surely have detected a different approach to things nowadays, especially amongst the keen young ones.

Kayaking, for example, which is a growing mass market sport (over here) has long left the just playing about at the waters edge type participation. That's now the preserve of the plastic sit-ons. Youngsters taking up the sport seriously expect to rapidly learn and slot into the performance category.

Biking too, another very rapidly growing mass market sport, now has the highest sales volume (claimed) in the 1 to 2 grand category. Those buying into it (myself included) take it seriously.

The obvious point about S.U.P. is that it is simpler, and more importantly, more accessible than high performance windsurfing which requirs 'just so' conditions. It has the potential to be mass market, but surely, not just for putzing about all the time. (Occasionally, yes.) Those I see buying into it are certainly buying into the performance side, and not just for the image.

Which brings us back to the original beef ... Why have the manufacturers not aggressively promoted the better performance of proper longboards, for mass market lighter wind parcipation?
WAVEDAVE

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GOD I MISS THE GORGE
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ME, TOO ... and I live here. Now that the water's "warm", where the hell's the wind?

And, Dave ... WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR? Wink
You keep inquiring about places to live and sail out here; you need to take a long vacation this year, do some serious first-hand fact-finding to supplement your online research, find a spot, and make the transition. You can always change again if you don't make the very best choice initially.

PRESUMING, of course, that smarter minds come along to fix the economy and open up some jobs.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: