myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acctx

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VinceSF wrote:
GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Does anybody honestly believe that each years 'tweaked' shapes from other manufacturers are really better than the years before?

Agree! you would have to be brainwashed by brands to think as much. The best example are wave sail. unless you bring something radical in the design (batten, material, etc) the shape has not changed much. You would be far better to sail with a 2005 model and the right mast and the right rigging, than with a 2012 model with the wrong mast and rigged wrong. There isn't much difference between the power wave sail and the regular one like most brands have. I would rather the brands focus on all sail sizes than on too many models.

When there is a lot of innovation, a company's R&D goes primarily towards innovation, like with high tech. When a product market has stabilized, a company's R&D goes towards mfg efficiency. Usually in a market a low cost provider would have entered forcing all other providers to become more efficient. Maybe the market is too small for competent business people to bother entering?
keycocker

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get mail from chinese makers who want to wholesale both windsurf boards and SUP boards to me because I once tried to start my own board line.
They have well over a hundred different SUP models from one chinese
factory alone. They arent sailors and dont know much about the sport itself.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this young guy seems pretty stoked on the future of the sport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1aiq-pAh8Y&feature=player_embedded

ronm41

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

w8n4wind wrote:

The kid is awesome but can't really compare him to the US kids. In Australia all the population centers are on the on or near the coast and sailing and surfing are the number one sports. so it almost like in their DNA to be attached to the ocean and water. Plenty of wind too. I heard around Perth there is over fifty windsurf sites close by and with the river and ocean enhanced by the warm thermals, you have choice of whatever water/wind conditions that suits your fancy. What a place to visit which I never have but would most certainly be on my "bucket list".
3-phase

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

keycocker wrote:
I get mail from chinese makers who want to wholesale both windsurf boards and SUP boards to me because I once tried to start my own board line.
They have well over a hundred different SUP models from one chinese
factory alone. They arent sailors and dont know much about the sport itself.

The only thing I get from China is the sails all other products are made in Italy, France and Tunesia. In Company's that respect the design from us and not copy cat and sell it to who ever wants to order 10 boards. Or they build there own product in there own company like Select Fins does.

Jurg

www.windsurfdeal.com
3-phase

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronm41 wrote:
w8n4wind wrote:

The kid is awesome but can't really compare him to the US kids. In Australia all the population centers are on the on or near the coast and sailing and surfing are the number one sports. so it almost like in their DNA to be attached to the ocean and water. Plenty of wind too. I heard around Perth there is over fifty windsurf sites close by and with the river and ocean enhanced by the warm thermals, you have choice of whatever water/wind conditions that suits your fancy. What a place to visit which I never have but would most certainly be on my "bucket list".

I am temped to say that in the USA would be 100'000 kids like him if somebody drives them to the beach and gets them on a board.

As example check http://nbwindsurfing.com he has a bunch of young kids hooked.

San Francisco has how many 10 good spots and like 5 million people live around there, Los Angeles has 4 good spots and 4 million live close to the beaches and so on. So I am almost sure the USA could come up with 100'000 Kids. And guess we would be happy with 1000 haha. As many said if you have 3 to 5 kids the game is on. For Los Angeles, who has some 12 to 18 year old kids and wants to team up. We can provide for a small fee gear / students to teach the group.

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
steve1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So after worrying that WS was in danger of dying, there were 30+ WS on the water with more rigging/de rigging at Berkeley yesterday afternoon. I estimated that 1/3 were younger guys and gals.

With only 2 or 3 kites out, the scene was reminiscent of the early 90's.

The Cal Sailing co-op seems to be a big part of this, offering a low cost option which has attracted guys and gals form US Berkeley and some of the local tech businesses.
rigitrite

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanwhile, in rest of the country that's NOT the gorge or on the coast, windsurfing is dying....no question.
Last Friday, it was a beautiful sunny day, and crazy windy. I was fully powered on a 4.2 / 77 litre wave board for a couple hours, and I was the only sailor. Eventually, a lone kiter showed up, bravely launched, and sailed with me for a while. There have been many days in the past couple years like this: perfect conditions, I'm the only sailor. 20 years ago, there'd be 5-10 guys even on a weekday. Depressing.......

steve1

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigitrite wrote:
Meanwhile, in rest of the country that's NOT the gorge or on the coast, windsurfing is dying....no question.
Last Friday, it was a beautiful sunny day, and crazy windy. I was fully powered on a 4.2 / 77 litre wave board for a couple hours, and I was the only sailor. Eventually, a lone kiter showed up, bravely launched, and sailed with me for a while. There have been many days in the past couple years like this: perfect conditions, I'm the only sailor. 20 years ago, there'd be 5-10 guys even on a weekday. Depressing.......

That sucks, sorry to hear it.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the reason there were a few sailors at Berkeley on Wed was because the winds were W to WSW at Coyote and the Penninula, and anyone with a pager knows that's Berkeley time. Even JSE from Marin sailed regular Berkeley!
Winds gave everyone everything they wanted or didn't. From SSW around 12-19 to WSW around 20-34, back and forth, changing directions and velocity.
Constant sail changes from what I saw. And lots of short sessions.
5.8 at 4:30 was exciting.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 13 of 17

Jump to: