myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ka360

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-phase wrote:
ronm41 wrote:
w8n4wind wrote:
this young guy seems pretty stoked on the future of the sport!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1aiq-pAh8Y&feature=player_embedded

The kid is awesome but can't really compare him to the US kids. In Australia all the population centers are on the on or near the coast and sailing and surfing are the number one sports. so it almost like in their DNA to be attached to the ocean and water. Plenty of wind too. I heard around Perth there is over fifty windsurf sites close by and with the river and ocean enhanced by the warm thermals, you have choice of whatever water/wind conditions that suits your fancy. What a place to visit which I never have but would most certainly be on my "bucket list".

I am temped to say that in the USA would be 100'000 kids like him if somebody drives them to the beach and gets them on a board.

As example check http://nbwindsurfing.com he has a bunch of young kids hooked.

San Francisco has how many 10 good spots and like 5 million people live around there, Los Angeles has 4 good spots and 4 million live close to the beaches and so on. So I am almost sure the USA could come up with 100'000 Kids. And guess we would be happy with 1000 haha. As many said if you have 3 to 5 kids the game is on. For Los Angeles, who has some 12 to 18 year old kids and wants to team up. We can provide for a small fee gear / students to teach the group.

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com

It's funny - we talk about the same things in Australia. Just to set the record straight. There are only a handful of kids in Australia who windsurf. There is no one of Alex's age anywhere near his standard. Our forum threads often discuss why windsurfing is not a growing sport and what we should do about it. I think a big issue is that Windsurfers aren't teaching their own children. Alex lives inland and we only have a lake with one launching spot where we live. It's not the best place for windsurfers to live and we keep thinking we should move. We have to travel to go windsurfing (minimum 3 hours each way to get to the ocean). That's OK with us since the whole family windsurfs. We have just taught our 6 year old daughter to windsurf and she is now planning.

The secret is that we took the time to teach them. We have walked their gear upwind hundreds of times. We have swam around with them in the water for hours. We have given up our own time on the water to teach the kids. And it has paid off. But, kids won't stick with windsurfing if they don't get planning in a reasonable time - preferably in one season. Alex learnt to windsurf in one season at age 7. He was planning in the straps in 3 months and carve gybed before he turned 8. But we took him almost everyday...

I think we windsurfers may need to be less selfish. We need to give back to the sport to nurture it. A prime illustration of what I'm saying is how supposedly Maui is the world's windsurfing capital and the base for many of the sail and board companies (a lot of windsurfing money would flow through). Isn't it suprising that there is no PWA event held there anymore? Why not?
loscocco

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.surfertoday.com/kiteboarding/7364-kiteboarding-replaces-windsurfing-in-the-2016-olympic-games#.T6V9a4zAwjc.twitter
Wetsuit:Hyperflex: AMP 4/3MM Fullsuit
Harness:Ocean Rodeo: Sessions2
acctx

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
bkiggins wrote:
it's a complete nerd fest, filled with arguments about the best technique or the size and dimension of everything... I suspect for a lot of people, that's a turnoff. 99% of the population doesn't care how something works, they just want it to work.

Yup; that's me and every computer I've used the past 51 years. But that other 20% worry themselves silly over unplugged empty fin slots, the offset in most one-bolt mast feet, a couple of ounces of water in a foot strap, WFF, their favorite board's date of manufacture and chemical composition and color, etc. There's room for all of it in a magazine and especially a forum, and anyone turned off by either side of the coin could just concentrate on what he wants and ignore the rest. In addition, each individual's reading tastes change with his ever-changing knowledge, skill, and preferences. I've heard, for example, that some people actually look at ads, photos, interviews with celebrities, articles on sailing destinations, and what-I-did-last-week in magazines. Some, maybe many, people don't even glance at those, just as some ignore the How-To stuff.

mountain bikers/cyclists are way more gear oriented and the sport is doing just fine. I agree that I dont think that is an issue with windsurfing.
waitinSD

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

“I wonder how high the correlation is between political persuasion and a penchant for regulated recreation?”

Hey Kelly
How about telling that genius iso about your “political persuasion?”
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With most normal human beings 'burn out' is the inevitable consequence of over indulgence. Windsurfing has portayed and marketed itself as a high octane sport with somewhat obvious results. More are burning out and leaving the sport countrywide, than are taking it up.

Lots of reasons have been put forward as to why newbies choose to go elsewhere, but aren't some of the stated attitudes in this thread alone, about dedicating yourself to windsurfing above all else in life, part of the problem?

Normally balanced people see the obvious pitfalls of such a demand, and choose instead to lead a full life, not be slave to a single minded (narrow minded) obsession. As Jingo said in a different thread, many who choose to follow the dream live to regret it, and the result isn't always pretty.

I was totting up the other night just how many good windsurfers we've lost over the last few years from our local beach. It came to over 40.

Windsurfing needs to be marketed as an interesting, fascinating, and very satisfying sport that doesn't demand opting out of normal life. It has to be made as accessible as possible ... with S.U.P. option as backup for windless conditions, if needs be. (They should just make sure they produce the right kind of gear for it!)
windward1

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:36 pm    Post subject: Balanced Life Reply with quote

It is hard to lead a balanced life when the stoke is so high.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G.T., you raise an interesting point about windsurfing. Windsurfing does take a very dedicated person that will create their life around the sport. Most folks won't or cannot always do that, and often prefer a more normal well rounded life. That's a big limiting factor.

I have to admit that after 27 years of windsurfing, I no longer enjoy driving all over the planet like I used to. That's provides a dilemma of sorts for me in the future, because I'm increasingly finding myself in a position of looking for satisfaction in the less exciting aspects of the sport. Fortunately, I only live a few miles from the ocean, so my odds are much better than those who have to drive a notable distance just to get to the water.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think, rather than people burning out on windsurfing, they get older and can't do it anymore. That's what I see when I look at who's missing. (Well, at least as much as burning out). Thus the emphasis on trying to attract young folks.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
I think, rather than people burning out on windsurfing, they get older and can't do it anymore. That's what I see when I look at who's missing.

Almost every WSer I see on the Columbia in April is old enough to retire. Few 30- and 40-somethings are dedicated enough to hit the river until summertime. Far from being burned out, I'd say the senior WSers lead the charge, at least around here.

Mike \m/
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry Beallmd, but we can't accept that. Old experienced folk CAN still do it, it's usually, with those who quit, just that they have exhausted their supply of enthusiasm, and no longer see any percentage in WANTING to keep doing it.

Some of us don't quit. I should think half the folk on this forum are far from being spring chickens! Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 16 of 17

Jump to: