myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kellygeygan

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with you that
"The whole premise of recreation for many of us is escaping rules and timetables and obligations.
I hated the rules and timetables of racing also.....

sooooooooooo

What puzzles me is the apparent need to associate formula with racing...
Been cruising bays, lakes, rivers and open ocean for over 11 years now on Formula gear...Formula boards dont make rules,people make rules.

Given its dependence on bringing a fleet of racers together with adequate breezes on a schedule laid out even days, let alone weeks to months, in advance ... I'll believe it when I see it. For 30 years now I've always chuckled when people ask me whether I'm going windsurfing on some given date hours to months in advance. The answer is "I hope to know by noon that day, and will know for sure by sunset that evening." Of all the facets of windsurfing, none turns me off more quickly and thoroughly than each and every aspect of racing. , not adding more of them to our lives.

I wonder how high the correlation is between political persuasion and a penchant for regulated recreation?[/quote]
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

beallmd wrote:
I think, rather than people burning out on windsurfing, they get older and can't do it anymore.

That just gives us more time to go windsurfing. Wink Sad
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "can't do it anymore" is a grim reality, but reality nonetheless.
At 63, wheels failing, I can see it happenning very quickly once things start to really go. Right now, it's hang on momma, barely what I could do my 2nd season, and possibly looking grimmer. Only the mind is still working well, and that's going too.
When I was in my 40's, I knew and always talked to the old timers like DickRyerson, BillAbeel, TomHartz, BobKahn, and GuyLeRouis, never suspecting I'd be taking their place one day. Now all the hot sailors see me as them, whom they never knew.
I hope the hotties don't see me that way, yet.. Cool Cool
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats zirtaeb on still back looping in your 60's. The 'grim reality' isn't all or nothing, is it!

It sounds trite, but doesn't moderation in all things lead to greater contentment in life, especially when applied to windsurfing? If not too radical to start with, we have less to lose with age, and the decay is less obvious. We ordinary old soldiers just gently fade away ....but still ruddy well enjoy it!!! Laughing

As a top performer zirtaeb, how do you see yourself in 10 to 15 years time, and what will your level of enthusiasm be? How did those you used to know really end up? Did they just quit altogether (as most top sportsmen do) and move on to other things?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17
Page 17 of 17

Jump to: