myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WMP

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys REALLY need to think outside the massive urban area. Heck, I'm living right on the edge of pure Gorge wilderness (heaven) adventure-land and it doesn't cost me anything to live here. Just rent out the luxury homes on this here property and live in the cheap home with the million $$$$ view!! Windsurfing, kayaking, mountain biking, hiking, skiing/snowboarding, natural hot spring soaking.... got all this healthy living stuff within a very short distance here... for free!!
spookini

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2012 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
Which brings us back to the original beef ... Why have the manufacturers not aggressively promoted the better performance of proper longboards, for mass market lighter wind parcipation?

Gurgs, well first off, I agree most ppl getting into SUP are spending the money and are interested in it as a "fitness" activity....ie, they want some element of 'performance' from their new board and lifestyle choice. That's why I think increasingly those folks will be open to the idea of getting more "performance" out of their new toy by putting a sail on it.

As far as industry promotion of SUP sailing, I've seen the shift in the two shops near me. Both are heavy on SUP offerings now, but for 2012 it seems many of the models they carry accept a sail. Whereas last season, they were stocking SUP-only boards.... I think they've seen the writing is on the wall -- the way to get new ppl into the sport is to sell them a SUP w/ a mast insert Smile
zpp66

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I love being in the water and windsurf, surf, kitesurf, SUP, waterski, and sail as much as possible. However, between the time and the gear this is not practical for most people. Especially outside of a few places (I live in SF).

IMO, unless it is blowing in the upper teens with good B&J, or preferably waves, I have a hard time getting that excited about windsurfing. It may be becuase I've done it since 1979, but, I think outside of a few spots, other water sports have a big advantage unless you are going to totally geek out on light wind race gear or are content for just cruising on displacement hulls.

Kiteboarding is WAY easier. I learned to go up wind and change direction without getting wet in about 5 sessions. I have friends who have been windsurfing for 10 years and still can't jibe. You can pack all the stuff in a sedan's trunk or in a closet, or even in a golf bag for travel. And you can catch huge air on a lake in 15 knots. Big advantages.

SUP requires little forecasting of weather conditions and can be done about anywhere or anytime. Outside of waves it is not a particularly skill building endeavor, but most people are more focused on fitness in their outdoor activities. I don't think it has anything to do with "hip" or "trendy" in my opinion, it is actually not very hip at all, but it is devilishly convenient. Big advantages depending on where one lives and what one is after.

I'll still take a 4.5 sideshore session in the waves over everything I can think of (well, except heli-skiing in AK), but, with two kids and living 1.5 hours from Wadell those sessions are limited. I personally don't see windsurfing making a huge comeback as a sport for most people in most locations. But then again, the teen crowd is definitely a lot more into skiing vs. snowboarding than they were a decade ago, so who knows.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started kiting in 99, and was mostly all i did until 3 years ago, someone gave me a longboard..
ok, the truth is kiting in low winds becomes boring as batshit.. seriously..but it is easy if thats your thing, and no, you cant boost huge in 15knts, you can boost,..but not huge.
anyway, now in the lightwinds id just as soon be on the longboard learning, and practicing some skills that will help once the wind does pick up enough for windsurfing.
and the idea that kite equipment is compact makes me laugh, im sure weve all seen that stuff strewn all over the beaches, and try rigging it up in a confined space.
yep, i can see more people coming back from kiting to windsurfing, just like snowboarders are coming back to skiis.
about the only time i kite now is if its in onshore, and shorebreak, and im feeling too lazy to deal with it..
kiting was fun for a while though.

steve1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a long time windsurfer (started in '77) but have been mostly away from the sport for the last 6 years. I got back on the water this weekend and was pleasently surprised at how many other windsurfers were out there. From my perspective, in the SF bay, it looks like the numbers may be going back up again.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another guy who took up kitesurfing after 17 years of windsurfing, 5 years racing in the SFArea.
While kitesurfing is great in waves and 15-25 mph winds, it's still the same drive to Waddell as windsurfing.
Light 10-17 mph winds, you can hang long and LOW, that's precisely the problem...who cares?
Big jumps, 10 meter kites and 15-25, can get dangerous, is lots of fun, still need catch beach and help up and down. 15-25 is prime 5.2 windsurfing weather, you actually get to JUMP, not get pulled upwards.
As for light winds, it's up to you and where you live. Neither sport can really jumping. A kiter suspended for 3 seconds and 100' distance, 4' up in the air, with a 16 meter kite in light winds is totally nothing.
A slalom board at 30 mph (but you need 14-20mph winds) TO ME, is still fun, as you're an inch from disaster.
Easy.... if it was easy, it'd be called kiteboarding. Easy is sitting at home and texting.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

elitist behavior of all of us is a large part. planing only equipment onhand, on sunday, kept us all from teaching a girl who spontaneously approached us and asked that we teach her to windsurf. we could not help her.

had any of us been able to grab a long board, like the wind SUP, we could have casually taught at the drop of a hat. as a population, in the 1980's we nearly all could teach. that's a huge missing element in our sport.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Sailboarder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
elitist behavior of all of us is a large part. planing only equipment onhand, on sunday, kept us all from teaching a girl who spontaneously approached us and asked that we teach her to windsurf. we could not help her.

I fully agree on that. As a re-beginner, I initiated more people to the sport than all my expert friends together last year. The reason is simple: I have a rugged longboard available. (A 50$ investment...) Some that tried are allready asking to try again this year!
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away Reply with quote

WAVEDAVE wrote:
I can appreciate kiteboarding but I just wished more people windsurfed these days and it had more publicity on tv and the such.

Why is that? I hear that a lot, people saying they wish more people windsurfed. But people who live in places where a lot of people do windsurf (Gorge, Maui, etc.) tend to wish fewer people windsurfed.

WAVEDAVE wrote:
The fact that windsurfing magazine has faded away really puts the nail in the coffin where this sport is going.

OK, but remember that they canceled Kiteboarding magazine at the same time.

WAVEDAVE wrote:
Before long Iwill have to make my own gear because of lack of profit to be made from the brands.

I think one of the reasons the equipment companies are having a hard time making money is because there are far too many of them, and each company has far too many products. Fewer companies would be good for the sport and good for the industry.
bates

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don't have enough vacation days in the US. Not enough free time as a group to do a sport like windsurfing that takes so much time to get good at. We work too hard and too many hours. Always the catch 22, you have money but no time, or time and no money. Also people split their attention to too many things at a young age, too much pressure for kids to be good at like 3 sports and maybe math camp all summer. Not enough time to just do one thing, everyone wants easy learning curves and instant gratification (kiteboarding), but for those that stick with it and are patient, the gratification hooks you for life (at least me).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: