myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mister bates (anything else would be too easy) wrote:
We don't have enough vacation days in the US. Not enough free time as a group to do a sport like windsurfing that takes so much time to get good at. We work too hard and too many hours.

Oh, you hit a sore spot there. In most jobs, the things you describe are about as self-inflicted as Type II diabetes. We owe our employers 40 hours a week; any consistent demands beyond that are abuse, and they can damned well hire more people (or pay extra and give us a choice) if they need more work than that out of us. I've had very little sympathy for the workaholics I've known; it's their own fault (or their own joy, if they really love their work that much; more power to people with jobs that good.)

There are many ways to find or make time off most jobs when it's windy; some are suggested in "Windsday Sailing" (Google it with the quotes).

Mike \m/
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First, let me say, that I agree with Mike. You should be able to take
your vacation, and with judicious use, should be able to sail a reasonable
amount (especially if you move to the Gorge, or Maui, or maybe even SF.
But, I must point out that in the real world as it stands right now, a
statement like "you'll get your 40 hours and not a second more", will just
get you demoted or excused. It's a little like refusing to obey orders
in the military, and it doesn't matter how useful you are to the company,
nor how much money you bring in, it's looked upon as insurrection.

The smart money is not to approach it like you were going to bulldoze
your way through your management.

-Craig

p.s. I get in 70-80 sailing days a year, but I gave up a management
position to do it, and I'm good with that decision. ;*)

isobars wrote:

Oh, you hit a sore spot there. In most jobs, the things you describe are about as self-inflicted as Type II diabetes. We owe our employers 40 hours a week; any consistent demands beyond that are abuse, and they can damned well hire more people (or pay extra and give us a choice) if they need more work than that out of us. I've had very little sympathy for the workaholics I've known; it's their own fault (or their own joy, if they really love their work that much; more power to people with jobs that good.)

There are many ways to find or make time off most jobs when it's windy; some are suggested in "Windsday Sailing" (Google it with the quotes).

Mike \m/
johnson_brian_j

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I see it, the biggest problem is not so much the amount of vacation we have. The problem is that most of us can't just arbitrarily walk out the door when the wind comes up, and then retroactively schedule the vacation time later.

It seems to me that the vacation-time argument is just another way of saying what many others have said about the rise of high-performance windsurfing relative to the longboard cruising that was apparently popular decades ago (well before my time). If you're happy cruising around on a longboard in 8 MPH wind, most people in most places can probably count on being able to do that on most weekends. But if you're looking for 25+ MPH shortboard sailing and you don't live in one of the few places that consistently get those conditions, then windsurfing may be just fundamentally incompatible with having almost any kind of a job.

cgoudie1 wrote:
First, let me say, that I agree with Mike. You should be able to take
your vacation, and with judicious use, should be able to sail a reasonable
amount (especially if you move to the Gorge, or Maui, or maybe even SF.
[...]

isobars wrote:

Mike \m/
steve1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away Reply with quote

johnson_brian_j wrote:
WAVEDAVE wrote:
I can appreciate kiteboarding but I just wished more people windsurfed these days and it had more publicity on tv and the such.

Why is that? I hear that a lot, people saying they wish more people windsurfed. But people who live in places where a lot of people do windsurf (Gorge, Maui, etc.) tend to wish fewer people windsurfed.

WAVEDAVE wrote:
The fact that windsurfing magazine has faded away really puts the nail in the coffin where this sport is going.

OK, but remember that they canceled Kiteboarding magazine at the same time.

WAVEDAVE wrote:
Before long Iwill have to make my own gear because of lack of profit to be made from the brands.

I think one of the reasons the equipment companies are having a hard time making money is because there are far too many of them, and each company has far too many products. Fewer companies would be good for the sport and good for the industry.

I completely agree with the last point. Even after 30 years in the sport, I am baffled by the range of sail and board offferings and turned off by the content free waffle of the "descriptions" - to the point of making do with what I have got already.
w8n4wind

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^^^^^^
dont know if fewer companies would help, but ya, i agree that fewer lines and models would probably help keep costs down. just so many to choose from now.. kinda bizarre.
and every year theyre all so much better than the previous year.. Rolling Eyes

WingMan

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having the job, house and kids does cut into TOW. I decided that if was going to get back into the sport the only thing that made sense was to make the most of the small amount of time I have in which to sail. So I went racing.

At my local yacht club there's a small fleet of us who race with the lasers every week. It is a total blast - even in light winds - becuase of the competition aspect. Aimlessly sailng around in light air is, in my view, pretty dull, but get out in those same conditions with a few others in tight tactical racing and suddeny it's downright exciting.

So though I don't get out much, and don't choose my conditions, I still get a lot of pleasure from the sport.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WingMan,

You make a good point. I began racing in 1984 when everyone had a longboard and we would race in any wind above 0. No fun just sailing, but a lot of fun with 20 other guys/gals on similar equipment.

Last weekend, we had the Texas State Championships near Dallas at a local yacht club. Winds on Saturday and Sunday were mostly 5-10 with occasional gusts to 13-15. We had about 25 racers and all had fun. Slow - Yes, but nevertheless it was fun. I still have my 27 year old Mistral Superlight with its original 6.? regatta sail. The board still kicks butt even against other longboards with much larger sails.

Races are far and few between anymore, but with light winds, everyone can have fun. Of course, the formula fleet was wishing they had another board.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im ready to quit....every windy day in SFBay this year has coincided with my son's little league games.
3-phase

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://cabrillobeachenduro.com/

More of this local races are needed. They make WS fun in all condition and bring some action to the beach

Jurg
www.windsurfdeal.com
johnl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Why does it seem windsurfing is fading away Reply with quote

steve1 wrote:
I completely agree with the last point. Even after 30 years in the sport, I am baffled by the range of sail and board offferings and turned off by the content free waffle of the "descriptions" - to the point of making do with what I have got already.

Funny, I see it just the opposite way. When I was ready to get a new board last time, I demo'ed a ton of them. I was amazed by how many I didn't like despite great reviews in the mags. So I would hate to see fewer choices since the onces I like would probably be the ones cut Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: