myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Kiteboard Trolls

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johnl

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:44 pm    Post subject: Kiteboard Trolls Reply with quote

I'm curious how many windsurfers on this forum feel the need or curiosity to go troll the kiteboard forum? I've never felt the urge since that is a forum FOR kiteboarders (which I am not), yet I'm amazed how many posts we see here by kiteboarders (usually posting anti windsurfing posts). And I'm not referring to those of you who partake of both sports, but just the windsurfers only. Do any of you frequent the kiteboard forums???
isobars

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there 2-3 times, asking for help with maintaining or improving launches (plus another time to plug the best torso armor I've found). Can't think of any other reason for me to go there; got my hands full here. Wink

Mike \m/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a windsurfer who never goes to the kiting forums because the nearest safe place for kiting is too far away for me so I know I'll never be a kiter.

I think kiters are more likely to look at a windsurfing forum because 1. many were windsurfers before they were kiters and may still do both, and 2. riders who have only kited might be thinking about windsurfing because we have many launch sites compared to their few. I live within 10 miles of 10 windsurfing launch sites and 45 miles away from the two nearest, barely adequate, kite launch sites.
beallmd

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, reminds me of how some idiots feel the need to try to disrupt a political event because they support the other side. Rally support for your side in a positive way. Kiters do suck tho.
acctx

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:44 am    Post subject: Re: Kiteboard Trolls Reply with quote

johnl wrote:
I'm curious how many windsurfers on this forum feel the need or curiosity to go troll the kiteboard forum? I've never felt the urge since that is a forum FOR kiteboarders (which I am not), yet I'm amazed how many posts we see here by kiteboarders (usually posting anti windsurfing posts). And I'm not referring to those of you who partake of both sports, but just the windsurfers only. Do any of you frequent the kiteboard forums???

I still like to read about windsurfing. There is a particular feel that windsurfing has that kiting hasnt been able to replace. Part of it is riding the fin rather than edging the board. In any case I originally came from sailing and windsurfing feels more like sailing so I still like to read about windsurfing. A lot of windsurfers are under the misconception that kiting is very dangerous (I was under the same misconception and vowed I would never kite) but it is only dangerous if you push the limits. I really enjoy kiting because I have increased my time on the water by a factor of 5 with less, smaller equipment that I can take on planes without fees. The stoke is similar and being a sharing person I think sharing kiting with windsurfers who might actually enjoy it is actually a good thing.

I started because I was on a windsurfing vacation and was basically getting skunked (wind around 15mph but rental equipment was all geared to 20mph) so ended up taking kiting lessons so I could do something. When the wind was up I was definitely faster than all the kiters.
nw30

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I go there every now and then, only because I know so many kiters, and sometimes things happen with them in my area, so I like to keep in touch.

One reason that I think they like to frequent our forum is because of curiosity, not only what we are saying, about them and their sport, but our sport as well.

I've met many kiters who have said that they really like what they see in our windsurfing (wave sailing), and would like to try it sometime (mostly the younger ones), but,
it takes too long to learn,
it takes even more money,
it looks really hard to master,
and if you're an old kiter who has never windsurfed, fogettaboutit.

So yeah, it makes some sense to me.
To some, we might even be the zen masters.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I never go to kiting forums out of curiosity about their sport, as I seen what's going on with kiting real time through watching it for some years, and from friends that were originally windsurfers. With old friends, you never hear the end of it about how much better kiting is.

Yet, I have to admit to ending up on a kiting forum when reading about an incident about kiting on the windsurfing side of the iWindsurf forum, and then selecting the link provided in the post.

Otherwise going to a kiting forum is like wanting to check out a golf forum. No real interest in the details about what's happening with the sport or those folks in it. No problem really, just a different set of interests.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: