myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wool socks, wetsuits & oversize booties

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2014 3:18 pm    Post subject: Wool socks, wetsuits & oversize booties Reply with quote

A few years ago in need of wetsuit booties on a west coast trip I bought used oversized booties from Board Sports at Coyote Point, San Mateo CA. At the time the only used booties they were willing to sell were size 12 and I only need a 10. I made up the size difference by wearing wool socks.

Wearing wool socks and using oversize booties made getting into the booties very easy. Having wool socks inside the booties keep my feet much warmer in cold water than they ever were with just booties. And when I'm wearing wool socks getting my feet into wetsuits much easier.

The water I sail in the midwest is still cold enough I'm still using wool socks, wetsuits & oversize booties.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

when life gives you lemons ....make lemonade

Could do the same with socks with polypropylene , much thinner

anywhere along I80 that may be a sailing spot ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sailing spots along I-80 in Iowa: Lake Manawa at Council Bluffs (about 1 mile from I-80); Saylorville Lake (about 5-10 miles north of I-80) at Polk City NW of Des Moines; Lake Red Rock (about 20 miles south of I-80 near Knoxville & Pella; Coralville Lake & Lake McBride (each about 8-10 miles north of I-80) near North Liberty NW of Iowa City.

Camping is available at each lake; Army Corps of Engineers parks for Saylorville, Red Rock & Coralville and state parks at Lake Manawa & Lake McBride.

There is also Grays Lake in Des Moines which is tiny but you'll have scenery to watch as the joggers use the path around the lake.

Lake Saylorville is where the Dam Jam windsurfing races are held, usually the 3rd weekend in May (I've been to each of the 8 events so far). Lake Red Rock has the largest body of open water. The Columbus Day Regatta which combines sail boats & windsurfers is held in October on Lake McBride.

In the summer time most of the wind is in the 5 mph to 12 mph range so longboards are the best choice. Midwestern winds are never steady compared to coastal winds. There is frequently a drop in the wind speed in the late afternoon.

I can provide more information if you are interested in a particular place.
outcast

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Patagonias high end winter wetsuit has a wool lining.
Wool works good when wet

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: